Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Bedtime Stories


Ever since my kids were babies we have sang them songs and read them stories before they went to sleep.  I know this will have an impact on them or we wouldn't do it.

I had the thought last night as I was telling my three year old her "Goldilocks and Three Bears" for probably the thousandth time that "I wonder what in the world this story teaches her?"

Some little girl walks through the forest and barges in someone else's house, eats their food, breaks their furniture and all she does is run away screaming when they come home.  Of course, they are scary bears to wake up to but my daughter is probably the last one I want to be teaching this to.

Then I was thinking I guess this is why it's so important to talk to my kids.  They hear negative or see bad choices all the time, but we can learn from it.  

I suppose when I tell her this story I need to start following up with a few questions like "how would you feel if someone came in your house and ate your food?" or "what do you think Goldilocks should have done after she realized her choice wasn't the best?"  

It's sort of great to realize we can use those Disney movies that are played over and over again or the books that you can hardly turn their pages they've been read so much to just talk to each other and learn things that aren't exactly on the screen or page.  Maybe it will spice it up for me a little bit while I'm at it.  I'm pretty sure I'm not he only mom that gets tired a three year olds obsession :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...