Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Best Thing We Did this Christmas...

We decided with our kids that we would make homemade gifts for each other this year.  The rule was that we could not spend a penny.  We had to make the gifts from things we already had at home.


So, the work began earlier in November.  Sarah came up with the idea to make one of Justin's old shirt into roads...she can drive the cars on his back for a little massage.


Allison began with the idea to make a "Daddy jar for all his stuff."  We dug in my crafts and found an old can and popsicle sticks that she could paint.


Spencer asked to go on a walk around the neighborhood for rocks and this is what he came back with.  Of course, he had to get them all clean for his project.


Allison had just barely started to learn to write other words besides her name and one word is "Dad." She was all prepared to label her project.



And her final project for her Dad!


Sarah checkin it out to make sure it works before she wrapped it and put it under the tree.



And now we begin to see Spencer's idea come together.




"DAD ROCKS!"



Justin opened these three presents and all we could say is how fun it was to watch these three feel excited to "give" and loved their creativity. 


I made this hopscotch for Sarah.  She loves it, but I have to say I was probably more excited to give this to her than anything else Christmas Morning.  It really came from my heart.


I put together this shadow box for Justin.  I wanted to highlight his huge goal he accomplished this year for him.


I finally made this skirt happen for Allison!  I'd wanted to do this for years.


I have to add that I don't sew more than straight lines so I was quite proud of myself and thrilled that she wants to wear it everyday.  Project accomplished for her.



 I made this football target for Spence to practice is throwing in our backyard.


 Sarah made this coloring book for Allison and made blue snowflakes for Spencer.


Justin made coupon books for each one of the kids.  I love that these will help them spend one on one time together.


 Spencer was so sweet and made me and the girls bracelets.


It was completely Allison's own idea to make Spencer and Sarah "little wooden people" so we looked through what I had and I happened to have little wooden balls and golf tees.  This is what we came up with...our favorites Darth Vader and Spider Man.

Bottom line...I absolutely love that we all focused on giving instead of getting.  It was a very special year of Christmas I don't ever want to forget!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...